20.3.10

BS008 Paul Bailey – Music for Controllers





“Music for Controllers are improvisations performed live using ableton live, korg/nanokey, buddha machine and srutibox (iphone), and korg kaossilator

Music for Controllers I
created using ableton live, buddha machine (iphone), korg kaossillator and nano-key


Music for Controllers II
made with Buddha Machine, Scruti Box (iPhone), Korg Kaossilator, and Ableton Live

Music for Controllers III and IV
were improvised live using ableton live/ korg/nanokey, buddha machine (iphone), and the korg kaossilator


Music for Controllers V

improvisation post-whatever ableton, buddha machine (iphone), srutibox just-intonation drone



Music for Controllers VI (A Stable Job is an Oxymor
on)
this track was based on a field recording i made of my last day of work before my “fall break” at CSUF (a one-week non paid work furlough). a few days later i improvised over the recording of my commute (from highland park to union station) with some materials of an earlier piece i made last spring (not getting fired is the new promotion). when it was finished i felt it was a little too minimal and forgot about it until about a week ago and when i listened to it again i realized it pretty accurately captured my dread of what this financial disaster has become in my life.
interestingly enough on that was the same day on my commute home the conductor on my amtrak route told me that she had lost about 75 daily commuters between san diego and los angeles from a year ago and it was pretty sad how so few of us were left. i know for me there aren’t many part time faculty left in the music department at CSUF and at this point it’s can get pretty depressing whenever i think about all of my friends who are out of work.
probably a little TMI, but yeah… i guess it is a bit dark.
spoken word piece based on twitter RSS feeds on the keywords “fired” and “job”. parts of this piece were originally contained in the piece “not getting fired is the new promotion” (2009)
made using ableton live, novation launchpad, korg kaossilator, iphone (buddha machine, srutibox), text-2-speech, and a field recording (zoom H2) of my morning commute (metro goldline from heritage square to union station; los angeles, ca 10/15/2009 (10 min)” – Paul Bailey

01 - Music for Controllers I
02 - Music for Controllers II
03 - Music for Controllers III
04 - Music for Controllers IV
05 - Music for Controllers V
06 - Music for Controllers VI (A Stable Job is an Oxymoron)